December 28, 2007

Tamale Festival

Well, I'm at home in the Midwest with the family, but not doing a whole lot of baking. Hopefully that will change soon, but in the meantime, here is a post that's been languishing in my "drafts" pile for quite a while.


Tamale Festival
Macarthur Park, Los Angeles. November 2007.

A beautiful day for a tamale festival. And yes, the name of the festival is grammatically incorrect.


Beverages- Horchata, Tamarind juice, Kool-Aid, etc.



Beautiful Macarthur Park...it makes this seal sad.



Bacon-wrapped hot dogs...mmmmm.



Mural



Don't know the name of this dish...we'll just call it "deep fried, with chicken"






And finally, the tamales! ...so greasy.

3 comments:

Steph F. said...

Really awesome post. I think the fried thing is a pupusa. So delicious-looking!

Where do you find out about this type of thing in L.A.? I've been looking for stuff like this to go to for years!

Deborah Dowd said...

I wish we had food festivals like this in our area! Even the greasy tamales look good (I'd go for the fried turnover with cheese!)

Anonymous said...

The fried food item is a "Quesadilla". That's a real homemade quesadilla made of masa(just like the tamales). You can make them at home. I do.