June 11, 2007

Introductions

I'm a grad student in archaeology who has always used baking as a way to cope with stress. After finding myself baking compulsively and with rather alarming frequency, to the point that my boyfriend became quite concerned for my sanity, I realized I needed a break from school. So now, as I'm nearing the end of what may well be my last term as a student, I find myself suddenly with a lot of time on my hands (that is to say, unemployed). On the bright side, it does give me a lot of time to devote to one of my favorite things: food.

I'm not a great baker. Not even a consistently good baker. I'm still in the process of learning, and despite the many frustrations I thoroughly enjoy every minute of it, something that could not be said of grad school. Hopefully by writing about my baking adventures, I'll be inspired to bake more, try new things, and rescue that creative spirit that was crushed by too many years in academia.

So this is a chronicle of my learning process, with the occasional archaeological aside. I honestly never thought I'd write a blog; the whole concept seemed pretty weird and egotistical to me. But then I started reading food blogs, and was inspired by the many talented, interesting, and fun people out there who share their love of food with the world. I am in no way in their league, nor will I ever be, but here it goes anyways...

No comments: